Comfilax DIA spec’s grown up sister

Comfilax is DIA Spec’s grown up sister. The Kurogyaru chief brand has branched out into Oneegyaru and that alone should spark a post here, but how they’ve done it is one of the bigger reasons I’m writing up about it. More down below along with a meme started by the brand, but first introductions!

Comfilax is a word combination of “Comfortable” and “Relax”.

Their brand introduction is peppered with the worst new Engrish-Japanese katakana like Citylike シティライク and Onelike ワンライク. Which had me going like that Project Runway “blood orange” moment. But mainly they aim to combine sweet, sexy and a downtown feel by using color variations and textiles. And an emphasis on real clothes リアルクローズ.

Real clothes has been such a odd fashion phrase lately, meaning not runway and priced well. In layman’s terms: an actual working slave could afford it. There’s even an extremely ambiguous Japan wiki entry about it.

Comfilax details:

katakana: コンフィラックス
website: http://comfilax.com/
webstore: mobacolle
number of stores: one personal store in Shibuya 109, featured in all seven DIA spec stores
started: February 2014
blog: http://ameblo.jp/comfilax/
shibuya 109 blog: crooz

Comfilax made meme

comfilax-boob-top-worn

The top that made a meme styled in Onee casual by Comfilax shop staff.

comfilax-boob-shirt

The cute cleavage details and bonus it’s reversible!

….and before I go any further I’ve got to shout out cuties Emi and Lea for first posting about Comfilax when they discussed this top.

Yes that top actually became a meme. Gathered by rocketnews here for English and on matome.

comfilax-boob-shirt-meme

A compilation of some of my favorites :loveword:

And possibly because of that, or in spite of that, it’s sold out several times and keeps being restocked. Maybe they’ll make a summer one?

The details and cleavage say DIA spec, but the simplicity is Comfilax!

Comfilax Styling on the Web

So I’m sorry to quickly turn you off the brand because their website features two things that never work out when discussing “real clothes” a) a white model that looks nothing like real styling b) horrible catalog shots possibly worst I’ve seen.

comfilax-awkward-whitemodel

Model that doesn’t fit the brand? Check

comfilax-clothing-snaps

Yup. Check the shop staff above. Now look back. What in the hell…

Engineer boots? With an Onee set-up?

Awkward posing? Check  Possible wig? Yes  Making a short girl look shorter with unflattering shoe/sock cut off? Yes

Basic hand on hip posing and weird pee pose? Yes

I promise this is not the brand or I would have not talked about it.

Comfilax Stying with DIA stores

DIA spec’s company is doing something smart with Comfilax. It does have its own stand alone shop in Shibuya 109, but the expansion has been into DIA original stores. I mentioned in my previous post that Oneegyaru is a very strong market with great sales currently. And I think this is a very smart business move by DIA. Instead of DIA changing up their whole style, they’ve instead incorporated another style into the stores.

Kurogyaru brand DIA still has a strong core audience. Fashionsnap in their report of Shibuya 109’s fukubukuro event this year specifically mentions DIA as a reason people were choosing Shibuya 109 to queue up for. They interviewed a girl who came from Yamanashi prefecture, which is the Mt. Fuji area about 2 hours away by Shinkansen, for a DIA bag. But I think they realize they could grab some of their audience that may be moving into Oneegyaru.

Here’s the staff of DIA Machida modeling Comfilax coats.

Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 3.55.36 PM

Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 11.48.35 AM

The first staff looks fully Onee while the bottom one as a DIAxOnee mix to it.

comfilax-oneegyaru-vs-dia-spec

More DIA shop staff in Onee outfits by their sister brand.

comfilax-shop-styling

And Comfilax styling done by its own Shibuya 109 shop staff. A little more toned down, but still very Onee.

Even though you do not see a rhinestoned belt or gold painted pants, they’re still in stores. DIA has just diversified while keeping true to its origins.

dia-egg-model-yun-mobacolleFormer Egg model YUN modeling the DIA spec collection for mobacolle

As a note both DIA Spec and Comfilax are on sale now on mobacolle! Good discounts for a brand that JUST got on the webshopping trend. Previous post: How to buy on mobacolle using tenso.

As a note: I really want to thank everyone who commented or RTed or corrected my last article on the Fall of Gyaru masking the problems with Japan fashion. I didn’t think I’d wake up the next day to read so many responses and I really thank y’all. I’ve been editing and fixing and editing more and will continue to do so. What started out as a rant and my ire with people quick to dismiss a very broad style movement that has been around for years with misinformation and bias, turned into something good I guess.  :cheery:

follow the Doll on bloglovin | Universal-Doll facebook | Mitsu on twitter “miss_mitsu” | mewmitsu on instagram | inspired-doll tumblr – join/add/follow? :bow:

1. January 7, 2015 / 11:31 am

The memes itself make me want to try this brand XD the tissue box omg!! haha

Actually I do like a good amount of their stuff!

And wtf why do brands always keep doing this miscommunication between brand photos and then not being able to translate it into the actual items?? or vice versa?? lol

January 7, 2015 / 3:05 pm

The tissue box is perfect!!! I died!

Aren’t those photos crazy! I just was like… I don’t want to talk about this brand… glad I did more digging :)

2. January 7, 2015 / 12:30 pm

Lol I really like the “meme” top as well! But I know the slit would be almost nonexistant/unseen on me because I’m so flat lol.

January 7, 2015 / 3:04 pm

hahaah I think that’s what sparked a lot of memes. It does seem you need just the right amount of boob before it gets canyon-like instead of slit? But still I love how the girls styled it :)

3. January 7, 2015 / 1:38 pm

I loved your previous article about the Fall of Gyaru, it honestly made me want to jump back into the style. ( I had to let it go because of the work I do and the location of the job) The comfilax idea is good one, but the styling on the web is terrible like you said/showed. Gawd Awful, but at least they tried?? Not really sure what the disconnect is between some Japanese companies and online marketing.

I also am a huge fan of the cleavage cut out, even before it was turned into memes LOL I see them all the time on FB. When I do travel to Japan, I’m definitely going to do some hand on research on comfilax because it does sound really interesting!

January 7, 2015 / 3:03 pm

Yea! It’s crazy to me, too! I feel like there’s this weird white model similar shot expectation of so many Japanese brands. I don’t know if it really appeals to the Japanese market or they think it equals some sort of class. It’s very awkward.

I used to love them back in the 90s lol I guess it’s all 90s fashion coming back? Although the Comfilax ones are more detailed then some :)

4. January 7, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Wow, I really like this brand. It’s very grown-up but still very cute and preppy. I’m not too familiar with Japanese brands, but this one reminds me of a Japanese version of H&M or F21.

January 7, 2015 / 3:01 pm

That’s an interesting comment. H&M and F21’s Japanese equivalent is GU or they’re are actually H&Ms and F21s in Japan :) This is a different level of clothing where small brands have their own stores, and their designs are a bit more original than h&m or such because they don’t have to mass appeal. So they for the infamous boob top can do the small buttons on the back and lace backing and necklace detail that’s not often found in stores like h&M and f21 because they try to keep simple designs out to mass appeal and keep prices low. Small brands are not very common in the US instead most brands in Urban or the like are just sub brands owned by Urban. I’m trying to think of a similarly priced equivalent to a brand like DIA or Comfilax but cannot. UNIF is a good example of an American brand that did its own thing. Although much more different :)

5. January 7, 2015 / 7:26 pm

I’m into this. Not my style but I really hope they do well because I’m always going to have a soft spot for DIA. Surprised I missed there store when I was in 109 the other day but tbh I was kinda hating the whole experience last time. I’ll have to go to Umeda EST or something to check it out in person now. I kinda wanna try on that slit top because I suspect I’ll look like that girl with her knees up lol

Also I didn’t comment on your last post but I did enjoy it. New Year was definitely different this year than in the past but gal and shopping in general has changed. People are too quick to say something has died when in reality it’s become a lot more mainstream in it’s evolved state.