Bizarre Shop Staff Theft shuts down Shinjuku Lumine Rady

One of the more bizarre posts I’ve made about gyaru brands and shop staff, Rady shop staff in Shinjuku Lumine EST were arrested and charged with stealing clothes.

rady-theft-shopstaff

Rady charisma shop staff HyeonJeong and Risa currently in jail for theft.

Rady shop staff thievery news

On February 3rd three Rady shop staff were arrested at the main Shinjuku Lumine EST store. The one I previously talked about as one of the most successful stores in Tokyo.

I previously quoted in the gyaru decline article that “Rady currently reports profits from only its Shinjuku Lumine store as 60,000,000yen monthly. About $500k a month.”

Those arrested were current employees and popular shop staff Ko HyeonJeong (高賢貞) and Katsumata Risa (勝又里紗). Along with former staff member Kaida Ren (海江田廉) a guy.

27b22c9601f9bacc4448d5c3f482389e_5499

All three together including former shop staff Kaida Ren.

rady-theft

Formal police layout to show the clothing they took.

64b2b_1110_20150203_0024-e1423030356570

Taking around 25 coats and jackets worth about 10,000 USD

They were arrested for taking 1.1 million yen (around 10,000USD) worth of clothing last November through December from the Shinjuku Lumine Est warehouse in the basement below. Taking mostly big items like coats and jackets. The news program reports the items mostly coming from Hysteric Glamour which is a pricey denim and casual brand.

It has come out during the investigation that they have looted various warehouses and clothing thought to total 5 million yen ($45,000USD) starting in Spring 2014.

They realized they could enter a warehouse as long as they said they were shop staff and take whatever. They always took clothing from stores other than Rady.

According to a news report the people are reported as doing it solely for money.

rady-theft-hyeon

“I wanted some extra cash.” says Risa

In a statement they said they wanted some extra cash and their regular salary wasn’t cutting it. They made the money by reselling the clothes to thrift stores. The news program reports reselling mostly to a used store in Shimokitazawa.

Despite the glamorous appearance of shop staff, Rady Shop staff who work there only get paid around 880 yen an hour. For those curious HyeonJeong’s instagram.

150203_tokyo3_

Risa being arrested

150203_tokyo5_

HyeonJeong being taken away.

A news report about the thefts.

Shinjuku Lumine EST Rady closing

Rady’s parent company SMBrand issued a formal apology on February 4th but it’s been silent since then. Yesterday February 21st Rady announced on their official blog post that they were closing their Shinjuku Lumine EST store. They have also wiped out any trace of HyeonJeong, Risa and Ren from the shop staff ameblo.

Founder and designer Shizuka Mutoh wrote that the Shinjuku Lumine EST store will be closed because of this business. The Omotesando store will stay open as well as the Osaka location. She aims to make the Omotesando location the jewel of the brand. I have a blog post coming with Rady Tokyu Plaza Omotesando shop staff and I’ll show off the store!

This is a big blow to Rady. It’s their most expensive store and was only renewed a few months ago.

rady-shinjuku-2

The glass casing around the chandelier print was actually their dressing room that fogs up when someone uses it.

rady-shinjuku

Along with that there were 2 video walls and Swarovski decoed earphones in Rady prints.

Good luck Rady and good riddance thieves.

News sources:

Mainichi Daily English about the original arrest

Breaking News JP

GirlsChannel chat about the Rady thieves.

A big thanks to Oneegyaru lover Charlotte keeping up with the story and updating on the closure.

follow the Doll on bloglovin | Universal-Doll facebook | Mitsu on twitter “miss_mitsu” | mewmitsu on instagram | inspired-doll tumblr – join/add/follow? :bow:

1. February 22, 2015 / 4:22 pm

WOW I did not hear about this until now and I’m so surprised lol. Risa was even my fave shop girl at Rady and this is just weird to me

February 22, 2015 / 5:06 pm

They were so well known! What crazy ideas they had D:

2. February 22, 2015 / 4:48 pm

I am so sad to hear that the store in Shinjuku is closing! I had seen a bit about it on twitter, but didn’t really read any of the tweets so I didn’t know the reason behind it…:(
    I really hope this won’t affect Rady any more…><

February 22, 2015 / 5:05 pm

I first heard shop staff accused of stealing from another shop and I immediately thought Rady because of their price tag. But thought it would be the other way around with a discount brand taking Rady clothes D: Such a shock!

3. Karin
    February 22, 2015 / 6:01 pm

but why close? why not just get rid of the shop staff, and re-open with a bit of a sale to pull in more customers, etc.

February 23, 2015 / 11:31 am

I think since this made a lot of news there was embarrassment connected to the store. Also Nicola mentioned there was a possible police investigation at the store, too. So I’m sure it was a bit marred by scandal itself.

4. February 22, 2015 / 7:25 pm

Such a pity that they decided to close the whole shop! It looks so glamorous…
    It must be very embarrassing for this incident to be so closely tied to the Rady name and that particular location :(

February 23, 2015 / 11:32 am

Agreed! I hope their Omotesando shop can do well in its place. Although not as convenient for the Onee clientele.

5. February 23, 2015 / 12:28 am

Oh my gosh! I never thought that shop staff steal but I guess it’s something that happens everywhere. I’m surprised that they completely shut the store down though. :/ seems a bit extreme since it wasn’t all the staff – just a few. :/ I hope they’ll continue to grow and this won’t affect them more or ever again.

February 23, 2015 / 11:33 am

Yea, I think it was the grand scale that it happened that has been such a shock. I bet clothing warehouses will be extra careful from now on. The Shinjuku store was headed by those two so I imagine it was a difficult time. Too bad the others I bet are out of a job now.

6. February 23, 2015 / 4:49 am

It’s just such a sad incident for all parties involved :( at first I asumed they had stolen Rady items as they are required to wear it and their wages are low..I mean how can they even pay the rent off that wage and be expected to buy new high end cosmetics every season? I would understand the temptation…
    But considering the amount of clothes, the fact it was from another brand and the worth stolen for, that’s planned crime :/ I wonder if they knew what they were getting themselves into D: We had a similar jeans thief in a fancy shopping mall in Amsterdam a few years ago, but the identity of the person and what store they worked for was never disclosed to the public.
    Unfortunately Japan is so serious about crime and taking responsibility that Rady loses their best location and the accused will have difficulty finding work again :/
    I really really hope they can find a good equivalent of Lumine Est to put up another boutique though D:

February 23, 2015 / 11:36 am

When I read about it they never mentioned store names. I guess as respect to the companies. But then Rady’s apology. I really thought Rady would be involved because it’s expensive but thought some other brand stole from it. It’s crazy!

I think they’re given some of the cosmetics because they’re required. But HyeonJeong’s insta looks like she was living a bit more of a lavish life. I guess they realized they got away with it in Spring and so did it again in Fall?

I hope a standalone Rady store happens in Shinjuku but it’ll take a while for Rady to recover from this. They have to buy store space a year at a time in my understanding. So they’ve already paid the expensive rent through this year I bet. That’s a big money blow, not to mention the loss of sales.

7. February 23, 2015 / 6:39 am

Wow and I was super interested in Rady too. It’s a shame that the Lumine Est has to shut down because it’s so nice and classy. Hopefully another good brand will fill the gap that it left and the other branches are able to rise up too.

I gotta say that I was super surprised by this, I never really thought about shop staff stealing. Like it legitimately never crossed my mind.

February 23, 2015 / 11:38 am

It really was the most beautiful small store in Tokyo. So lavish and nice! That changing room alone was crazy!!!

Me neither tbh. I mean I can understand that Onee tends to be connected to a lavish style of living and brand items. But since a lot of Onee hostess or have well paying boyfriends I guess shop staff for being revered and loved are the poorest of the bunch but must look well off.

8. February 23, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Wow, its such a shock they managed to get away with so many items, at such a high value too or that they would even steal… I guess getting paid such a low wage compared to the value of the clothes would tempt them. I figured they’d get a decent discount on the clothes to help rep the brand though.

February 27, 2015 / 2:55 pm

It is quite a load! I think that shocked a lot of people. Most brands do offer their clothes at discount or offer a “closet” shop staff can borrow from. But it’s the other things like Louis Vuitton and such that seems to make the shop staff have committed such things. Here’s a previous talk about what MA*RS girls get http://universal-doll.com/2013/02/agejo-brand-mars-gyaru-shop-staff-interviews/

• February 27, 2015 / 6:31 pm

Oh wow! It’s really interesting to see the interview for Ma*rs too! Thanks for linking it :) Yea I guess when you work at such a low wage and you want to afford other higher brands…it’s a bit hard to pay for them :( shame it had to happen at such a grand scale. I hope their other stores will do well in its place.

9. Georgie
    February 25, 2015 / 12:49 am

their blogs still exists?:0
    Omg I hope this won’t cause more troubles to rady;;

February 27, 2015 / 2:51 pm

You mean instagram? I don’t know if they had time or cared to shut it down before they were arrested.

10. March 19, 2015 / 7:34 am

Glass dressing room that fogs up while in use is hella cool *__* Just to get that randomness out of the way, haha.

idk why, I am so fascinated by stories like these >~< I think because the general public tends to think that any job in the fashion world, even just a shop staff job, is kind of glamorous and this just goes to show how not glamorous it is… Money does horrible things to people ;~; Such a shame, they are both so pretty and cute !