Spring Trends – Larme Edition

I decided to blog about Larme again, but to be honest I’ve felt recent issues of the magazine taking a different clothing turn than usual. I really like how Larme has picked up speed with the overseas audience and people see it as not so much OTT but more Seiso-like.

However… I picked up a recent issue of Larme magazine and I’m a bit befuddled by some of the outfits. Now I don’t buy magazines when I’m in America because I’m cheap and I’m like a little squirrel pilling up my acorns so I can spend in Japan two months out of the year. So I had a gap between issue 013 and issue 019.

But issue 019 is the December issue and there are just some head scratching pages. It feels odd to say something IN Larme magazine ISN’T Larme, but well that’s just what I thought.

Now Emii-chan kindly scanned some pages from Larme 019 if you’d like to check her blog  (you should be reading her blog anyways because the time she spends being a resource is always impressive).

Excuse my quickly shot potato iPhone photos. This was not for all the tumblr reblogs just to show the odd face of Larme right now. Many of the outfits in the magazine were very Larme, but I am still a bit wary.

Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 12.47.23 PM

The cover which looks super Larme and beautiful.

larmemagazine-019-odd

This is the opening fashion spread which looks more Vivi or Jelly to me. I just can’t see the Larme in this. I don’t hate the style, it’s not about my clothing choices just not Larme.

larme-019-odd-dufflecoat

This London Calling Duffle coat spread doesn’t really feature Larme outfits. Instead it’s more comfortable in Seventeen or another casual-kei teen’s magazine.

larme-019-odd-streetsnap

Instead this “street snap” of a model features a much more Larme-kei Duffle coat style.

larme-019-denim-odd

I don’t know what to say about this look but well it’s just not Larme.

larme-019-wrong

This unflattering outfit (in a subsection about dressing flattering for your height) is also not Larme.

larme-019-odd-wrong

Whole lot of nope. Red matte tights and patent shoes?

larme-019-notlarme

Very cute, but not what Larme is known for.

I found a few more examples but I don’t feel like harping on. Now I am wondering whether Larme magazine will take a more encompassing look on what is Larme-kei to get a larger audience, but at the cost of diluting its look?

This could just be a blip but I’m a bit wary of this direction.

So I’m going to talk about trends by Larme brands, but keep in mind I am not really sure on the direction because 019 left me perplexed.

Larme Magazine Possible Spring 2016 Trends

Larme Trend One – Biggest Trend! SHOULDERS

Off shoulder, shoulder accents, it’s all about the shoulders this year.

larmetrends-offshoulder

Titty & Co | Rosary Moon | Honey Salon | Honey Mi Honey

Long-time fashion diva Donna Karan has said to always show off your shoulders because they never sag or wrinkle or really show fat. Beyond that it’s collarbones for everyone.

liliciousheartearrings

Subtrends to fit the shoulder trend:

Giant earrings –  lilLilly has been touting giant colored heart earrings (above) that suit the off-shoulder look. OneSpo also has a cute pair of rhinestone huge heartsI don’t expect chokers to be as hot because it breaks up the off shoulder look a bit oddly.

Cardigans – Because Spring can be too much of a cold-shoulder. Har har.

Larme Spring Trend Two – Flouncy Bustiers

larmespring-flouncy-bustier

Honey Salon | monLily | Titty & Co

Often with gaucho pants or a midi-skirt. Gone are the days of figure hugging bustiers and in are flouncy frill worth loose bustiers. Lots of good options for less-busty girls.

Larme Spring Trend Three – Relaxed Girly Set-ups

larmespringtrends-setups

(Left Rosary Moon | Right Titty&Co exhibition)

A Winter-to-Spring look. Although this is more of a sporty look Larme seems to be doing more sporty casual looks in its magazine. Even writing how to dress with sneakers and Uggs. Set-ups are everywhere and don’t want to die. This sporty trend is a new look for Larme brands.

Other trends of note – Frills!, Gingham Accessories, Sukajan, Lace Overdresses

larmespringtrendsmix

Rosary Moon | Titty & Co

Frills will grow and grow across Larme fashion I think. The tiny prarie flower print with a frill bust is a good Spring trend look. While the Lace over by Titty looks a bit boring I expect Larme to spice their styling up better. Of course delicate lace blouses are forever a Larme staple. One of the Larme essential buys I’d recommend when starting a Larme wardrobe.

larmetrend-sukajan

OneSpo | MonLily

Sukajan! The colorful satin bomber jackets. They’re really becoming popular this season. Onespo has done some really cute looks with them like this sweatshirt style. monLily is not a true sukajan but bomber jackets will show up more in Larme because of the sukajan trend.

Also… denim and gingham shoes, knee length everything.

Thankfully Larme isn’t short of cute clothes to focus on and getting back to refining what the real Larme look is. I hope Spring magazines pick up again and give Larme the style honing it deserves.

….I wonder if I said Larme 80 times in this post.  :mrgreen:

1. January 18, 2016 / 2:01 pm

I don’t know much about Larme but I follow Sara Mari, who looks gorgeous inthe style, so I think I have a good idea of the aesthetics of it and…. I’m so shocked to ee some of those coords…. Really at a loss of words for it:/

However, some of this years trends look really nice!!! *^^*

January 18, 2016 / 6:27 pm

exactly! Saramari is so wonderful at capturing that Larme look without bringing Otona kawaii or any of the neighboring styles into it. And yet Larme letting me down right now. I hope Spring inspires them :)

2. January 18, 2016 / 5:38 pm

I’ve never been a fan of the over all style of larme, but I did enjoy picking pieces, components of makeup looks, and accessories from them and restyling it to fit my look more, however what is GOING ON IN THIS ISSUE?? A lot of these looks are just frumpy and in the case of that brown disaster this one poor model is wearing: Plain UGLY.

I am however a fan of this off the shoulder trend, Titty, Rosary, and Honey being my favorite examples, and I need all these sukajans, so cute!

January 18, 2016 / 6:25 pm

It’s a bit of a confusion. Especially when I know there’s just so much Larme items they could focus on this winter. Pastels were still happily around :) Lots of monotone and bittersweet style looks :)

3. Lio
    January 19, 2016 / 4:09 am

Ahh, this is so disappointing! But at the same time, I’m hardly surprised. Is it just me, or has Japanese fashion become an awful mess these past few years? All this nomcore, casual sporty, frumpy layering and plain Jane styling being pushed as *the look* really makes my heart bleed, and it seems to be creeping into the sub-culture styles too …

January 19, 2016 / 7:39 am

I see points of good, but I definitely feel I spend less and love less brands as the years go by. I don’t know sometimes it just feels like there’s a lack of creativity by so many main brands. I’m excited for some, but the face of so many brands makes me sad.

4. Arisu
    January 19, 2016 / 5:18 am

Thank you for writing this post! I have been thinking the same thing when I looked through the 019 issue.
    I’m a bit disappointed that they didn’t pick up many beautiful items from the past season.
    020 issue just came out, Could not wait to see what’s inside.

ps. sorry for my English

January 19, 2016 / 7:40 am

Thank you so much for commenting this! I felt I was being a bit hypercritical but I couldn’t let it go. I’m glad someone else saw the problems too. I’m really curious about 020 and beyond!

5. January 19, 2016 / 10:28 am

Thanks for the shoutout! I’m not really a Larme girl myself (I do like the 甘くてかわいい女の子 idea but more in a general, broader sense than Larme kei specifically) but I buy the magazine when I see it because I feel like it’s worth sharing and the price isn’t so bad when you don’t have to pay for shipping lol.
    I also like to see how they use Liz Lisa items + how Larme is changing trends as well even if I don’t necessarily participate in them myself. I feel like Ank Rouge is definitely moving more towards Larme-type styling and design with some of their more recent pieces although other items are still solidly grounded in himekaji.
    I’m always for more innovation, out-of-the-box thinking and creativity in fashion, even if it’s not something I would personally buy or wear. What’s unattractive or unflattering to me could be the epitome of some other person’s fashion goals and why should it matter to them if *I* don’t like it? Haha. Looking forward to what spring brings for many of these brands ~ Money I didn’t spend due to “seasonal restrictions” is now burning a hole in my pocket!

January 19, 2016 / 2:24 pm

I do, too! Liz Lisa is really adapting yet again! Although I am honestly amazed that their grown up line failed. Liz Lisa seems to like they have a harder time keeping its older audience even though they’re keeping some of the shop staff longer. Although there were older ladies at the My Melo meet and greets I’ve seen and attended.

Ank Rouge is definitely! Although I wonder it seems Ank Rouge wants to be so many things lately: classical, seiso, Larme, otona kawaii. I guess its just the feeling of girls right now :)
      I lust for innovation. And prints. But I feel like Larme really sold people on this look and this feeling. And yet it feels they’re drifting somehow when they didn’t have to. And I don’t think they’re really drifting to something that has appeal.

6. January 20, 2016 / 11:14 am

Oh my gosh, this so much haha. When I opened up Larme 019 I literally thought nope and turned the page. How did something so boring end up in Larme! Maybe they are trying to attract ViVi readers, like hey look we have safe norm outfits too pls pick us up. But what makes Larme great and attract people to it is how it stands out, there are less and less styles in Japanese fashion. The fashion in Larme 020 looks more Larme I’d say but there was an increase in lifestyle articles (2 on health, a career article and valentines dating tips) which while the career one was fun, Youtuber was the 2nd job suggestion haha, I’d rather see more winter to spring ideas.

Yay shoulders for spring haha, I get to show off my line backer shoulders :D Honey mi Honey alone has like 10 off shoulder items! That simple set up from Rosarymoon looks lovely (and the skirt is a decent length) It’s been like -5F here averagely but I look forward to more spring trends, thanks for the great post!

January 22, 2016 / 9:59 am

Oh girl!!! Thank you so much for commenting! I felt like someone who is more of an outsider than an insider of Larme saying something like that was a bit harsh. But well… the truth is the truth.

That is so interesting!! I really wonder how the 21 will be. 020 was a good spot in December/Jan to really do more articles since they’ve been talking about trends and usually magazines use their Dec/Jan issue to do stories that are not so dated so they can all take 2 weeks off to holiday. Youtuber is so interesting! It’s amazing how YT has taken off in Japan. I sometimes watch, but I’m not really into it.

Hey big shoulders make waists looks smaller, the 80s was so keen to let us all know that :)
      I’m really loving the length lately. You mentioned my top two faves as well :)

• January 26, 2016 / 8:40 pm

I don’t see you as an outsider at all, you are so knowledgable about Japanese women’s fashions, and particularly your background in gyaru (and Larme originating from a gyaru perspective) gives you particular insight. I think there’s still this big gap between westerns and Larme, somehow it seems hard to grasp for many.

After reading this article I looked at the 020 issue a bit more with my eye out for these frumpy normcore looks and I did notice some slipping in here and there. I try to put blinders on for those kinda looks, I sorta subconsciously tune them out. There were some more of those awkward belts over long cardis. No come on, just accept there’s not waist definition with a long cardigan haha.

Haha, yes the big shoulders! Whenever I want to look thinner in a picture I automatically turn my hips and keep my shoulders forward, faking that ratio! Anyhow, I really like your recent articles, the otonakawaii spring trends was a great read too. I appreciate it from afar (just too many florals for me haha!) And of course the makeup shopping guide, thats so useful, I did a ton of grab and go shopping at the @cosme store this October, but next time I’m visiting more of the ones you mentioned.

7. January 28, 2016 / 10:31 am

Ahh I bought the 019 Larme but didn’t really look over it yet ;__; but I’m shocked to see some of the coordinates, especially those with bolder colours (eg: the sharper reds/browns/etc) appearing in Larme because the style is so concentrated on the pink/white or generally softer colour schemes, though black x soft pink is quite popular. I’ve collected most of the Larme magazines and I hope the 20th one will be better :(

I think Ehyphen Bon Bon will offer a lot of Larme kei looks for spring because Risa Nakamura has been elected as the current producer for the brand. There’s been a few preview pictures floating around and it definitely looks like the pieces all belong in Larme. Personally, I feel that Risa is a pretty good representative of the look as a whole (hair, make up, style, etc) :)

January 29, 2016 / 1:25 pm

Exactly! I don’t really feel these colors echo Larme especially when not done in classic Larme shapes. Like maybe if it was an atypical color done Larme it may work? Like their whole milky neon thing :)
      Sara Mari said Larme 20 is better. I’m really curious for Larme spring :)
      EHyphen Bon Bon does seem to go really Larme. I worry their quality has gone down a bit from some pieces I’ve seen in store, but I hope with Larme’s backing they can pull it around :)

8. Patricia
    January 31, 2016 / 1:16 pm

Thanks for the nice article. I felt the same with Issue 19 but 20 has better looks in it.

Just one question, as you or some girls know it perhaps, so do you know if they sell Mon Lily in the Yumetenbo Showroom Store in Shibuya?
    The store in P’Parco is unfortunately Closed (or was it just temporary) and I’d love to have a place to try the clothes on before purchasing them.

Thx :)

January 31, 2016 / 1:52 pm

They did in the showroom! But I think that monlily MAY have been temporary. I went one day and two days later I didn’t see it. It could’ve been a restock period but I thought it was crazy.

• Patricia
        January 31, 2016 / 2:11 pm

Thanks. Guess I need to check it out then :cheery:

9. anonymous
    March 8, 2016 / 7:32 pm

I live in Japan and these frumpy casual plain and sporty clothes are what has been “in” since last year and seem to be taking over other styles, its sad. There are several stores I don’t even bother going into anymore because they sell these frumpy tomboy/grunge plain clothes and no other styles anymore. For example Shimamura used to have a collab with Liz Lisa every spring for a few years called LizMelo, and Shimamura also used to have a spring collection from Sorridere which resembled Liz Lisa or hime gyaru/sweet gyaru type clothing. But now Shimamura doesn’t do any of that anymore, all their clothes are sporty, plain and frumpy clothes, lots of plaids, browns, big baggy clothing, denim, and plain t-shirts right now, and Spring is no exception, same with Avail, honeys, gal fit and l.d.s. which used to have some frilly stuff. I feel alot of niche styles are dying in Japan, but are still living on among foreigners outside of Japan.