Ank Rouge from sweet Seiso to Street Larme

I’ve had tons of topics to post lately but I keep coming back to Ank Rouge. Some fall trends I want to talk about, summer tips, Disney Tokyo survival guide, more vintage, some skincare reviews, some make-up reviews. But I keep going to back to want to talk about Ank Rouge, since this blog started as a trend blog and it’s still my interest.

Ank Rouge basics:

katakana:アンクルージュ
since: 2010.
number of stores: 10
head: Rie Matsuoka
style: Sweet girly now Larme Street
insta: https://www.instagram.com/ankrouge_official/
webstore: http://ailand-store.jp/

Some Ank Rouge History and Okarie distancing

Ank Rouge started in 2010 by Popteen model Rie Matsuoka, aka Okarie (松岡里枝 croozblog, insta) . She has helping with the design and look of the brand under the title “Creative Director” and in the beginning Ank was Okarie and Okarie wore Ank. She may have been the Creative Director but she was also the image model aka the face of Ank Rouge.

Since 2015 there’s been quite a distancing of Okarie’s tastes and Ank Rouge and now Ank Rouge is a different animal. Okarie is now very Seiso/Otona Kawaii and prefers magazines such as Bijin Hakka and Sweet. Ank Rouge is now very street Larme. I’m going to show the new collection first, some old images and also some thoughts on the new Ank Rouge look.

Ank Rouge new style “Innocent Black” for Fall 2016

For the Fall Ank Rouge now has two new image models: Vivi main model Emma Jasmine(瑛茉ジャスミン insta) and Larme model Nana Katou (加藤ナナ insta)

Their theme for this collection is Innocent Black. The main concept for the collection is girly and monotone looks. It’s not just sweet but coquetteish feeling. A street and girly mix giving a casual and playful atmosphere. Using black at least twice is the center of this look. <- their words translated

ank7ank1 ank2 ank3 ank4 ank5 ank6 ank8 ank9

I wish they showed off the clothes better but when they’re making such a dramatic change I guess lighting was needed to carry this new Ank Rouge.

In the past I’ve always seen Ank Rouge as a more tailored Liz Lisa or sometimes just a Liz Lisa knock off. :sweatbubble: Now it seems they’ve gone full Larme and if anything gotten edgey and appear very inspired by One*Spo.

Ank Rouge of Old

If you’re not familiar with old Ank Rouge here you go:

Ank from 2012:

Ank from 2014(?):

ank-rouge-early

Ank from 2015:

ank-rouge-pre

It’s obvious they were slow moving from Liz Lisa to Seiso and Larme, but this Street is a brand new thing for Ank.

Fall Collection Innocent Black worn by Shop Staff

You know this blog. The photoset of a collection is well and good but how are everyday girls wearing this? Specifically for this the Ank shop staff.

ank-shopstaff-look ankrouge-shopstaff-look6 ankrouge-shopstaff-look5 ankrouge-shopstaff-look4ank-shopstaff-look2

Well Ank Rouge has really stuck to the Street Larme profile with its shop staff. Some are still trying to bring the old Ank Rouge in combination, but it’s mostly Street Larme.

Trends to note for Fall 2016

Ank has shown off several trends to talk about for 2016. These are mostly Larme trends with a few trends heading into all fashion. All Fashion trends marked with a heart

• Slip Dresses ♥
  • Chokers especially Ribbon chokers ♥
  • Collar details
  • Sukajans done different ways ♥
  • Robe-tie jackets ♥
  • Velvet ♥
  • Lace dresses ♥
  • “Dad” caps
  • Baby pink x black x white

Final Notes

ank-rouge

Although Ank Rouge has been talking up all these Street Larme looks. This set-up is their current Fall top seller. A more traditional Ank look.

ank-rouge-onepiece

Ank is part of a larger clothing group the Ailand group featuring Cecil McBee and Be Radiance. None really known for their prints, but I feel this print done in skirt and onepiece style is really worth noting. It reminds me of classic Jesus Diamanate and MA*RS prints but of a better quality than current MA*RS. My old style readers should pay notice to this cute print  :hearts3:

Is this change bad? Good? It’s for the chirruns!

I’ve been talking about the differences, but I don’t think this is necessarily a bad change in Ank Rouge. Lately there’s so much grown up fashion dominating Shibuya 109 brands. The Onee-gyaru and basics boom has taken over so many brands. It feels like there’s quite a pressure to grow up. I’m glad there’s a bit more youthful style in Ank Rouge. However I can’t see this winning over longtime Ank fans so I guess we’ll see how next season looks?

Long time no blog? Yup

Everytime I post here lately I feel like I have to apologize for being slow. Blame Disney, Olympics and Pokemon Go this time. Really though it’s my aging computer and the problems that causes. If only I didn’t have to use my laptop to blog, but editing photos is necessary. Next year though! New computer! Hopefully I can afford it! Currently though I have some trips to take and trips are fun new computers are just new computers  :regret:

In the meantime I’m currently doing a 10 day Japanese and Korean face mask review on Snapchat. :happydance: If you want to see some shaky camerawork, me looking dumb in masks, and my derp voice you’ve got it (yay?). If not you can wait for the full monty to go on the blog later.

follow the Doll on bloglovin | Universal-Doll facebook | Mitsu on twitter “miss_mitsu” | metoomitsu on instagram | metoomitsu on snapchat | metoomitsu tumblr – join/add/follow? :bow:

1. August 16, 2016 / 3:25 pm

I’m actually in the process of writing something about Liz Lisa and larme kei but a bit more at the surface level and on a slightly different angle so it was nice to see this post from you! 2015-early 2016 Ank Rouge was probably my favorite so far but I just enjoy seeing what they’ll churn out.
    P.S. I love that the Ank Rouge twitter account posts SO many different kinds of shop staff looks. It’s great to browse through.

August 23, 2016 / 1:23 pm

I love your blog so much. Everyday I marvel at how thorough you are and focused. I plan on talking about some overreaching what is Larme-kei trends but I really love how you mentioned there’s just a flow within fashion and our desire to categorize one outfit as one thing is not really how fashion is lately.

• August 23, 2016 / 5:48 pm

P.S. It took me a second and a half to realize it but that popular grey set up from Ank is a super similar shape to a floral Liz Lisa faux 2-piece dress from Autumn 2015 (I recently got it in one of the Liz Lisa summer happy bags and also just posted the navy version on IG). If this isn’t just more evidence that Jfashion brands borrow from each other, idk what is. (That’s a bit of an exaggeration I guess but let me have it lol.)
        Also I know my post was a little hippy dippy / “lets all just love fashion” but man, some of the critiques I see these days are just so off. “Rules” are only good when they actually apply to the genre correctly lmao.

2. August 16, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Ah I don’t think I like the new Ank Rouge much. I’m quite disappointed by the changes. Guess that’s one brand less on my list. *sigh*

August 23, 2016 / 1:22 pm

Hey you’re saving money! But I definitely can see it not hit the right note especially with the otome more lovers.

3. August 16, 2016 / 9:39 pm

These kinds of brand spotlight/evollution and trend watching posts are my favorites on your blog! Don’t stop!!
    You’re always on point, and It’s refreshing to see something other than “Harajuku kids” or “creator/influencer” street snaps, and I’ve always liked how you include shop staff coordinates to show the many ways the brand’s pieces can be worn.

I’m actually liking the new Ank Rouge because I find it more wearable… for myself at least!

August 23, 2016 / 1:21 pm

Oh thank you so much! I want to do more of them but I am also lazy…. the struggle!

Real clothes for real people is totally what I’m all about. I appreciate the people who really do their own thing, but I hate the people who profit of the myth that it’s how a scene or area looks. :(

4. August 17, 2016 / 9:30 pm

I like larme-kei but I think I can find those trends if I look for dupes anywhere else than Shibuya 109. :(
    That patterned dress tho, I find it more appealing to my style and tastes (agejo, the love of my life ♥)
    I was kind of waiting for this post to come as your insight is always valuable. I also follow your posts on Snapchat, I’m ‘selfishxromance’. ^^
    Sorry, kind of a blunt comment, my brain is kinda fried today … :D plus I always lurk your blog but never comment, so I thought I could spread the love ^^
    xoxo

August 23, 2016 / 1:20 pm

I agree! I think some of the trends are too outward facing. Isn’t that pattern so cool! I’m a pattern freak but I really appreciate them making one :)

5. August 18, 2016 / 8:05 am

Starting out in Sweet Lolita and Fairy Kei, before getting into Gyaru, always made me feel so happy because everything was so bright and colorful. Just like how it was in the 80s and even 90s. I guess old Gyaru was more to my liking because of that influence. I know we all have to grow up but I still love my fun fashion. The newer styles of the brands are too simple and dark for my tastes. Though I still appreciate some of the new pieces just not all. Guess ill keep collecting as many old collections as I can lol.

August 23, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Thankfully there’s Swankiss! I think their spin-off Last Virgin is a bit too dark like you’re talking about. You’re right tho. the lack of pop colors and neon are really missing in today’s fashion and they used to be everywhere like with cocolulu and others :)

6. August 18, 2016 / 12:48 pm

Pleeease summer tips and Disneyland survival guide, your guides are the best!

August 23, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Man I put off my summer one for so long we’re almost out of it! AGAIN!! I will definitely work on a Disney one along with one for WDW Florida because Disney :D

7. August 20, 2016 / 8:37 pm

I’m actually starting to like Ank Rouge more, especially the recent Autumn collection. I find some of the new items are very stylish and elegant ^^

August 23, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Good news for you and Ank then :) I’m still worried how peeps will like it :)

8. Minette
    August 21, 2016 / 1:52 pm

I actually really like this new look they have <3 I like the old one too. I think I just like too many styles which is both a blessing and a curse (on the wallet).

August 23, 2016 / 1:17 pm

Ooo that’s interesting to hear. What’s your fave piece from their new look? :)

9. September 7, 2016 / 12:08 am

Thanks to sharing this post its all information is really very nice and dolls is looking very beautiful.