So hopefully everyone reading this blog is a shopping freak and is working on their Spring/Summer wardrobe. If not, what are you waiting for?
Here are my (and others) simple rules for new wardrobes:
1. Pick one trend and follow it. If not you’re left with a closet of miss-matched clothes and you’ll look back as the weather changes and think…”Why did I ever buy that?”
To say it again, key styles are: Marine, Preppie, Amekaji, Girly, Doll, Bohomenian, Safari, and Rock (those can be combined such as Preppie Marine or Girly Rock). Possibly Shihara-kei (Shibuya x Harajuku) will rise up, but right now it’s just Tsubasa.
2. Onepieces are effortless. No matter what style, you only have to coordinate your shoes (and sometimes hairstyle) and in a flattering onepiece you’ll look great. Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel genius extraordinaire, said a dress will always be the easiest way to look complete.
3. If branching out, head to a onepiece. If not, you’re stuck coordinating and Rock top with your Marine sets and it will be hard to pull off. A onepiece is your cornerstone!
4. Unless you are a Size 00, hold back thick stripes below the waist. I can’t emphasize this enough. Wide horizontal stripes make you look larger, no matter if you’re a size 2 or a 20. Especially if they hug the body. The thicker the stripe, the fatter it makes you look. Go for thin stripes! This way you’ll have a nicely accented bust, but not the butt/stomach/hips many women dislike on themselves.
5. Set up your outfits. A dress and pumps is fine, but what about a cute cardigan, preppie pins, fun stockings and a stylish bag or hat? 2 bits of extra flash can make an outfit, not just a dress. Analyze what outfits you like in magazines, especially Street Snaps, and see how you can translate that to your look.
The bow, the white jacket, the shoes. It’s fabulous. She brought it into Spring!
She’s Spring Doll while still wearing a fall dress and fall hosiery.
6. Tanning beds / self tanner is love. Darker skin changes your look to summer and also helps cover up blemishes, cellulite, scars etc… When showing more skin, make that skin look sexy! Also, LOTION, LOTION, LOTION! Healthy skin is nourished skin.
7. Change up your look! I’m not talking about dying your hair, but changing the way you style it/ darkening or lightening your make-up / putting extra time with your nails. It’s the small things that make people want to come up to you and say you’re workin’ it.
8. Resort to black. Buy your basics in neutral colors, so you can match-up more.
9. Take time. Are many of the make-up tips and hair tips about quick and easy? Sadly, no. Gal love is a labor of love. Looking at the schedules of most gals printed in magazines, they wake up 2 hours early to get themselves looking great. I personally woke up an hour earlier to do my hair/make etc… and I was usually eating with one hand while holding a curling iron with the other >_<;; While I know school or work is often not the time to look fabulous, it’s the practice you put in doing it everyday that makes you good at it for clubs, dates etc…
10. Work on your walk. This isn’t just for models. We’ve all seen them, the girls wobbling heels or just too tomboyish in sneakers. Watch your walk in a mirror, how can you make it more confident and sexy? Remember to walk slowly (a bad habit of mine to walk too fast). A couple of a friends of mine and me practiced ours in Kabukicho, Shinjuku. If you know you’re rockin’ it to hosts, you’ve got it covered.